Thursday, November 03, 2005

World of BS in Handguns

I have worked on so many handguns in my lifetime it hard to tell you about all the things I have actually seen. Workmanship has been poor through out many years but its much worse now than ever before. Gun Companies are trying to make as much money as possible and they do not all have the expertise of old world craftsmen, as they are long gone.

Just look at the ambi safety that they are still installing on 1911 pistols. There is not a good ambi made to date, no one cares about left handed people unless you are one.

It all started when Swenson came up with this ambi design about 35 years ago by joining 2 halves in the middle of the frame, it was no good then and its no good now. I have talked to many people about changing this design as I have many good ideas but I could never afford to do it and when some one says they are willing to pick up the bill for my design, my royalties would be close to nothing. SO WHY BOTHER.

I have another good design in mind but there is nothing in it for me at this point in time. I am older and I just can dream about how good a safety it would have been. I just have very little faith in people any more, sure I have found a select few that would absolutely play it straight but there are not many people like that.

Another major problem that I have a good idea how to solve is the accuracy of a Beretta 92F as the barrel locks up in the rear and with out a front end bushing there is no repeatable lock up. The front of the barrel is free floating and that is why it is not accurate.

This can all be corrected but at this point in time how many people really care. This world and current idealogy is based on profit of how much money can they make. The 92F is an very reliable handgun if kept clean and dry but not super accurate.

At this point in time I have about given up trying to change things and being able to make a difference because I never had the money to invest. Partners always have an agenda.

I designed a loaded chamber indicator for the 1911 pistol many years ago. I could never afford to implement my ideas. Does anyone really care about safety ?? answer is NO - its all BS.

How about thumb safeties for a 1911 pistol with removeable paddles so you can use a wide one when at the target range and a narrow one when carrying the pistol for protection of life and property. The gunsmithing industry would never want that, then they could not sell separate safeties and get more money out of you.

How about a Grip safety for the same type pistol that had various height adapters that could be easily exchanged by the gun owner. The gunsmithing or parts world would not want any part of that idea cause it would hamper their sales of different grip safeties.

I could go on and on about almost anything you buy as an aftermarket product but its going no where cause the money people in the parts business would try and kill all these ideas.

Greed will eventually catch up with all of them. My ideas remain solid as a rock. There may be a few that will become a reality only because it may personally hit a nerve of another person that is either left handed or thinks like me.

I have barely scratched the surface of what I could tell you.

Teddy





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?